Commissioning for quality, safety and better outcomes
In considering the dementia workforce, commissioners should consider:
- Different stages of the dementia care pathway and functions needed. Considering the capacity, capability and location of staff needed at each stage to meet the needs of the person with dementia and their families/carers and the outcomes to be achieved.
- The service quality and effectiveness to meet required outcomes
- Safety – ensuring the delivery of safe outcomes
- Specific workforce criteria –the competencies and qualities needed to deliver high quality and safe services.
- Skills already in place, ensuring that provider(s) have robust plans in place to ensure that the workforce is competent
- Organisational capabilities and an appropriately regulated workforce.
- Ensuring providers offer continuing professional development (CPD) and supervision to ensure regular assessment of competences